Thursday, March 19, 2009

Gone too soon

There is no doubt that the death of Natasha Richardson is a tragedy. To leave a loving spouse, children and family is awfully sad. But I truly wonder what is meant by, and who is to determine, gone too soon.

Is there ever a time when someone says " well it should have been sooner" when speaking about a loved one ? "Well they had a good life" is another phrase I will never understand. If someone had a good life, then why would we be happy that they are no longer around to enjoy it ?

Celebrity status should not be a barometer to determine loss. The recent death of Marc Diab is no greater nor nor less a loss. For that matter none of the soldiers in any of the wars is greater or less than the other.

So let us remember those who have passed and know that wherever they may be, whatever we may believe, let us not compare one loss to another.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I’m not there – I do not sleep
I am a thousand winds that blow
And a diamond glimpse of snow
I am the sun and ripened grain
And the gentle autumn rain
When you awaken in the morning hush
And the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds and circled flight
I am the soft stars that shine at night
Do not stand at my grave and cry
I’m not there – I did not die

And so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment