Sunday, April 26, 2009

It's Not Me. Its You


The line really is supposed to me "it's not you , it's me". The best example of it was used in a Seinfeld episode when George was trying to break up with his girlfriend. He tried to use the 'it's not me, it's you line" and she beat him to it.

Well I have been thinking a lot about that statement and have come to the conclusion that it really isn't me and it is you.

Now this may not apply to you - you who is reading this, but it does apply to a few recent incidents in my life.

I can honestly say that I am and try to be a good person. Oh yes I am sarcastic, sometimes make fun of others but it is in fun and I would never intentionally hurt someone.

That being said, Twitter has been an eye opening experience. Both internally and externally. I have met some incredibly nice people, Chris, Rhyse, Ross, Mike, Terry, Izzie, Blair to name just a few, but I have also met some who have chosen to remain aloof or even off hand.

This initially bothered me - and this was after extending a hello as well as in one case some feedback about a resume. Since that time the response I have had has been extremely off hand. Now I recognize this could be my perception. Perhaps not, and as such you may take what I say with the recognition this is being told from my perspective only.

Recently I ran into someone with whom I had a difference of opinion - unknown why - and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to start anew, refreshed. Although there was civility at the beginning of the week, but Friday there was barely a recognition of my existence.

So where does this lead me. Well previously I would have been quite upset and replay anything I could have said or done. But now, I adopt the reverse George Costanza stance" It's not me and it is you !" So if I am not followed, not responded to, blocked, or ignored, I will know one thing, it's not me, its you.

And so it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I love you, Mark!

    And that's not because of me, it's because of you.

    ReplyDelete