Thursday, April 2, 2009

Turning Your Back Can Create An Opportunity

Through Twitter I had the opportunity to meet one of the people I tweet with. I was to meet him and his friends at the Harbour Castle Westin hotel in the lobby bar.



I got there respectably late - 20 minutes past the hour, and there he was with a number of other tweets. With 6 or 8 people around him, I just couldn't get up the nerve to go introduce myself.



When I told people this story or when I tell people how shy I am they find it hard to believe. But it is true. I am painfully shy. I think it stems from my youth, my whole life actually, being overweight and unattractive. I often joked about being in a Trixie Belden or Nancy Drew novel. No, I wasn't the heroine, I was always the runner up - the fat friend who was the support. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing, a sort of wind beneath the wings type of person is good. But after a while you do get tired of being the runner up.


Watching a made-for-TV-movie last night I heard this interesting statement: Fear is like a hologram. You think it's real and it stops you. But once you push through it you realize it wasn't real at all.

I hope I can learn from this. Because by not introducing myself, I missed the opportunity of meeting some very nice people. Truly my loss.

And so it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I thought you did meet someone nice that evening...not all was a loss!
    M

    ReplyDelete