Wednesday, May 6, 2009

From One Day to the Next


I am very lucky. I had a birthday which stretched on for three days. A wonderful Sunday night dinner with my sister and her family; lunch with my work colleagues; dinner again at my sister's and dinner out tonight with a good friend of mine.

Also, out of the blue I received two phone calls from friends I had not heard from in years.

Then how come I still want more ?

No, I am not talking gifts or attention, I'm talking about my parents. The TV, newspapers and magazines are inundated with Mother's Day ads, and frankly it gets a little much too handle. I miss my Mom immensely. She was one in a million. Many will tell you that I have a good sense of humour and am very quick witted. Well if that is true, then I inherited them both from my Mom. She had a wit comparable to none. She also had one of the most incredibly generous dispositions you could imagine. The only thing greater than her generosity was her heart.

I remember when i split with my now ex. I got the following card:

It's been a difficult year for you, and you've had to deal with a lot more things than any one person should have to.

I just want to let you know that I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and heart and trusting that things will get better soon.

She then went on to write the following:

Dearest Child; You know how much I love you, always have and always will - - I am always here for you. God bless and all my love always.

Mom
So my thoughts have now left of the enjoyment I had for the past couple days to that sense of emptiness. It is difficult being an adult orphan.

I am thankful for all that I had, I am thankful for the wonderful memories of both my parent. I would be just so much more thankful if I could remember on my own terms without being told to.
And so it goes.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pics of your parents.
    Funny, I see a little of you in each of them :) Sounds like they were lovely people, the world is a poorer place without them. Seems like they left behind a lot of good memories for you to remember them by.

    Hope you are enjoying the long weekend.
    DH

    ReplyDelete